Sunday 19 May 2013

#GreatSummerOfBurger Episode 4: silvana franco's bloody mary burger

After last year's frigid Jubilee Street Party, this year we luck out with beautiful, if not scorching, sunny day. Perfect for decking the street with bunting, letting the kids run wild in the middle of the road, and meeting people you normally only occasionally nod at, over several brewskis and a hot dog.

I made the mistake last year of attempting a jazzy salad, Jill Dupliex's Sesame Chicken Salad in fact, which whilst very tasty, didn't say 'yay, let's party in sub-zero temperatures for the Queen'. Although to be fair, what does?

Instead I view today as the perfect example to continue my #GreatSummerOfBurger campaign, with yet-another experimental Silvana Franco burger: The Bloody Mary burger from June 2011's issue of Delicious. Although naturally I make double quantities:


What makes them 'Bloody' is the addition of cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce and creamed horseradish, and as I'm using Garlic Farm creamed horseradish, we got an extra hit of smokey flavour, which was delicious. They were a bugger to cook though, as they lacked any egg to bind them, only breadcrumbs:


As I say, they were delicious. Probably the best meat burgers I've made, I think, with lots of flavours going and a nice hit of heat from the horseradish, but I wonder whether adding egg will solve the problems of them falling apart on the grill? This is exactly the sort of question #GreatSummerOfBurger is going to answer!

Wine Time
Brewskis, and lots of them or if you're being sensible, and big, bold Cote de Rhone or Aussie Shiraz are classic pairings for BBQs and meat.

sources
bloody mary burger - Silvana Franco, Delicious, June 2011, p25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo