Tuesday 3 April 2012

bill granger's quick roast chicken with white wine and shallots

I think the last six months have probably the most fruitful in terms of unearthing a swathe of amazing, copper-bottom, bang-on, everybody-pleasing recipes.

Saint Hugh's Veg book probably started it all, as did the slow recycling of old magazines, followed by rediscovering Waitrose Illustrated. This weekend flicking through Brenda's cookbooks revealed a clutch of delicious-looking meals from Anjum Anand, and even a repeat of Forever Summer saw a hasty browse for any remaining copies of Nigella's debut.

However, I think this Bill Granger number - and I've seen two different varieties in two different mags - is probably the daddy of them all. I love it! I love jointing the chicken, I love cooking it, I love dipping bread into the juices to 'test' and I love eating it. It's quite possibly the best thing I've seen this year...


Before this point though, we've breakfast and lunch to get through. Well, not lunch per se, but nibbling small children's evening dinner to get us through.

Pancakes for breakfast are a weekend treat, but as I'm off we get stuck in today. I don't have a whisk mind, which forces my inner Celia Imrie into sieving the batter, but I offset this by making faces for Milo:


I used to entertain him with faces in his food loads, I don't know why I've stopped really. Ana tops it off by making an Octopus pancake, which I can't beat. I think from now on it's amusingly arranged food all the way us, which bodes well for the two melons and packet of cherries in the pantry.

Anyway, the pancakes are much more successful than the Toad in the Hole I attempted, again, and burned to the bottom of the dish, again, for his and our neighbour's kids dinner. I know I'm supposed to use a great wodge of fat, but it doesn't seem right to inflict that much lard on the under-5s. Any top tips?

sources
quick roast chicken with white wine and shallots - Bill Granger, Delicious March 2012, p57

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo