Thursday 13 August 2009

donna hay's pad thai - recipe

Donna Hay's pad thai
300g thick noodles - I use the straight to wok ones you can microwave
2.5 tablespoons peanut oil (I use groundnut)
2 eggs lightly, beaten
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
chopped chilli
2 chicken breasts, sliced
spring onions, sliced
1/3 cup of fish sauce
1/3 cup lime juice
teaspoon brown sugar
bag of beansprouts
coriander leaves
garlic chives (I've never found any)
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Me and Donna do disagree over some things but I'll highlight them as we go along. Also I think you can either have beansprouts or noodles, or both, it doesn't really matter. I sometimes add odd bits of veg to it as well - lonely courgettes, suicidal peppers etc.

1. Place the rice noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water to soak (or nuke 'em in the micro at the end).
2. Heat oil in wok and gently fry the eggs so they're just set - I don't bother with this bit, but I do add the eggs later. Doing it this way just creates a really oily omlette...
3. (Where I begin) Heat the remaining oil in wok and add the shrimp paste. Let it sizzle for a 1 minute, constantly stirring it, then add the chilli and chicken. Cook for three minutes.
4. Once the chicken is cooked this is where I add the beaten egg. It makes a much more pleasant eggy base. Nuke the noodles whilst the eggs are scrambling, then adding the to the wok with the spring onions, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Cook for three minutes and then toss through the beansprouts and coriander (and garlic chive should such mythical stuff exist).
5. Whack on plates and top with peanuts and the rest of the coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo