Monday 1 February 2010

spanish rice

It's a beautiful start to the week! Bright, sunny, bone-chillingly cold with a mini-sprinkle of snow. Myself and my co-colleague Jessica even manage to launch our new cooking blog at work - Kitchen Daily! We've not quite got the hang of daily posts yet though.

Even better, I scored a free lunch as I won last week's gym challenge at work for being the top tosser. You all probably suspected that already.

Dinner is a gamble. We're on a budget, we need something we can give to the monkey the next day, and yet it needs to be hale and hearty to beat off incipient frost bite. Spanish Rice ticks all the boxes, and as a less-than-interesting aside, it's one of those dishes I always associate with my childhood. My mum used to cook a big batch to last us a couple of nights loads when we were growing up, laced with Tabasco and cheese.

spanish rice
It sort of works tonight, not quite the intense flavour I remember but a pretty good approximation and definitely worth trying again. Secretly I think it needs some more seasoning and Tabasco (shhh!) It's from the precious black book, via my mum's mind. Sorry Lucy.

Food of the Milos
Nothing for breakfast today - oooh! By the time he got to Zoe's he had a smoothie, gingerbread animals, cheese and ham nibbles for lunch and remarkably, last night's fish curry for dinner. He'll be on the vindaloos next!

sources
spanish rice - the black book of Pat Ferrick:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo